The Communications Council WA Jump Start program introduces 20 exceptional students to the local Industry
The Communications Council’s WA Jump Start Graduate Program concluded last Friday – with final presentations held at The Brand Agency – making 2019 the seventh consecutive year of this life- (and especially career-) changing, industry engagement program.
The aim of Jump start is to provide University graduates with a unique opportunity to see the inner workings of some of Perth’s Top Advertising Agencies – and the various roles that exist within agency structures.
This enables students to truly understand where they best “fit” and further to this, allows participating agencies to connect with those students who’ve “made the cut” (after a 2-stage entry process) and identify individuals whom they would like to have working within their businesses.
This year the 8-week course was facilitated by 10 Comms Council member agencies: The Brand Agency; Meerkats; Rare; 303MullenLowe; Initiative; WundermanThompson; Marketforce; Clarity Communications; Firefly360 and Trilogy.
Having gone through the program, the 20 graduates are better equipped to know which role does what within an agency and which role best match their strengths and abilities. The program certainly means these “Jump starters” require less initial training and they’ll have a quicker return on investment for future Industry employers.
2019 Jump Start Graduates:
• Abbey Vergone, Curtin University
• Alessia Starvaggi, Edith Cowan University
• Alexandra Thomassen, Curtin University
• Bianca Carbone, University of Western Australia
• Blanche McKie, Curtin University
• Caitlin Montgomery, Curtin University
• Callum Macrae, North Metro TAFE
• David Svarc, Curtin University
• Indra Martin, University of Western Australia
• Isabel Michailides, University of Western Australia
• Jasmine Lewis, Curtin University
• Jordan Hunter, University of Western Australia
• Kate Massey, University of Notre Dame
• Lara Hudson, Curtin University
• Oli Nicholson, University of Western Australia
• Sam Wilson, University of Western Australia
• Sarah Macdonald, Curtin University
• Shabrina Devi, Curtin University
• Silvi Botha, Curtin University
• Zoe Wolski, Edith Cowan University
This year, The Comms Council was delighted to have Emma Kalo – Group Marketing Manager, ABN Group – fill the role of the “client” for the 4 groups to do their first “Pitch presentations” to. Kalo joined the following judges, to determine the winning group:
• Gavin Bain (CEO, Meerkats)
• Callum Mackenzie (Managing Director, Rare)
• Brendon Lewis (Head of Account Management, The Brand Agency)
• Doni Savvides (Partner, WundermanThompson)
• Chris Andrawes (Digital Director, Marketforce)
• Ashleigh Doy (Communications Design Director, Initiative).
Smiljka Dimitrijevic (Senior Strategic Planner, 303MullenLowe) and John Linton (Head of Strategy, 303MullenLowe) mentored the winning group of Callum Macrae, Indra Martin, Caitlin Montgomery, Alessia Starvaggi and Abbey Vergone.
Jump start also recognises individual achievement and this year, 1st place was shared by Jasmine Lewis and Lara Hudson.
Jump start is an initiative of The Communications Council of Western Australia and runs annually from August to October. For further information about the program visit The Communications Council Website.
Pictured top: Jump start graduates receiving feedback from the Judges.
Pictured below: Jump start overall winning group with their 303MullenLowe Mentors: Smiljka Dimitrijevic (Senior Strategic Planner, 303MullenLowe); Alessia Starvaggi; Abbey Vergone; Callum Macrae; Caitlin Montgomery; John Linton (Head of Planning, 303MullenLowe) and Indra Martin
Pictured bottom: Jump start winning individuals – Jasmine Lewis (left) and Lara Hudson (right), with their group.