An unsettled past year for Radio in Perth has meant a lean year for the local industry in the 2019 Australian Commercial Radio Awards.
Perhaps reflecting a flat economy, there are no WA finalists in the three key Sales categories (Best Sales Achievement; Best Agency Salesperson; Best Direct Salesperson).
On a brighter note, in-house radio creatives have led the way with 4 (out of 10) finalists for Best Station Produced Commercial. They are:
• ‘Burke & Wills’ – Tamara Heinjus and Nat Marshall, Triple M Northam
• ‘Apple Song’ – Josh Robins, Nat Marshall and Ethan Kavanagh, Hit Southwest Bunbury
• ‘WAAPA Spoiler Alert’ – Aussie Moore, Mitch Mitchell and Carl Step, The Studio at SCA, Perth
• ‘Hands Dirty’ – Garry Dean and Drew Barrett, Nova 93.7, Perth
‘Speeding Ads’ by Nova 93.7’s Garry Dean, Magnus Newman and Drew Barrett is also one of eight finalists for Best Station Produced Campaign.
Other WA finalists are:
Best Music Presenter
• Tim Lee, hit92.9
Best Program Director
• Amy Collett, Triple M and Hit FM Bunbury
Best Music Special
• Alana and Robbie’s David Guetta Music Special – Alana McLean and Robbie Klitzing, Red FM
• How The West Was Rocked – Dean Clairs and Neil Pagett, mix94.5
Best Station Promotion
• Homecoming – Nova 93.7 Product Team, Nova 93.7
Best Multimedia Execution, Sales
• Jesse & Juelz’ Busselton Jetty Swim – Grant Fletcher, Jesse Watkins, Juelz Jarry, Simone Butland and Amy Collett, Hit 95.7 Bunbury
Best Newcomer Off-Air
• Rebecca Payne, 6IX
Best Radio Show Podcast
• Heidi, Xavier & Ryan – Heidi, Xavier and Ryan Team, Hit92.9
The winners will be announced at Brisbane’s Royal International Convention Centre on Saturday, October 19.